28 Dec, 2019
- Impact of recession on revenues
- Interstate River Water Dispute
- Chief of Defence Staff
- Pulicat lake and Flamingos
- Rising NPA
- Prelims questions
How not to counter economic stagnation
The author highlights the slowdown in the economy, which has led to shortage of resources for both the centre and the states. He further discusses various options available to the government and their merits and demerits.
Problems in Indian economy
- Lower rate of investment in the economy
- Low collection of tax revenue
- Problem with states is much bigger
- Delay in transfer of proceeds from GST
Problems faced by the union and state governments
- Increase the GST rates or not
- Increase tax on petroleum products and liquor for human consumption by states
- Reduction in Income Tax
In a landmark decision the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister has approved to create the post of Chief of Defence Staff in the rank of a Four-Star General with salary and perquisites equivalent to a Service Chief. The Chief of Defence Staff will also head the Department of Military Affairs (DMA), to be created within the Ministry of Defence and will function as its Secretary.
- Functions of Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee
- Background to CDS
Mahadayi river dispute
States of Goa and Karnataka are embroiled in a dispute on sharing of the Mahadayi river water. Related to Mahadayi river dispute, Goa has intensified its opposition to the Kalsa-Bhanduri project as the Centre in a written reply to Karnataka government has stated that environment clearance (EC) is not required for its Kalsa-Bhanduri drinking water project on the river. As of now the matter is pending in Supreme Court of India.
- About Mahadayi River
- History of dispute
- Contention of Goa government in the Court
- Contention of Karnataka Government
- Provisions of new bill on Inter-State river water dispute
Kalaripayattu (sometimes shortened as Kalari) is an Indian martial art and fighting system that originated in modern-day Kerala. Kalaripayattu is a martial art designed for the ancient battlefield (the word "Kalari" meaning "battlefield"), with weapons and combative techniques that are unique to India. Legend traces the 3000-year-old art form to Sage Parasurama- the master of all martial art forms.
- What it includes?
- Ancient evidences
- Why did it lose significance?
Winged visitors flock to pullicat, with birdwatchers in tow
Annual flamingos festival in Nellore district is around the corner as the number of birds is swelling in the area. These birds travel thousands of kilometres to reach Nellore district and this area will be in the list of bird watchers for the next 2-3 months.
- About Pulicat lake
- About Flamingos