29 Dec, 2019
- Present Economic Slowdown: Cyclical or Structural? - Indian Economy
- Directive on Foreigner Detention Centres (FDCs) - Polity & Governance
- Protecting Minors - Polity & Governance
- Different approach to address Malnutrition - Social Issues
- Concept of Biomarkers and Potential Applications - Science & Technology
- SOHO Satellite and Sun's Corona - Science & Technology
- Practice Questions
Is the economy in really bad shape?
The Indian Economy has been facing economic slowdown. The GDP growth rate in the first quarter of the financial year was 5.1% and in the second quarter, it has further fallen down to 4.5%. This is considered to be the lowest growth rate clocked by the Indian Economy in the last 6.5 years.
What is the directive on detention centres?
Recently the Union Cabinet has given its nod for updation of the National Population Register (NPR) across the country. Given that NPR is the 1st step towards compiling the National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) and recent passing of the Citizenship Amendment Act 2019 the step has evoked objection from some states particularly relating to the detention centres that are required in case the NRIC is compiled.
- National Population Register
- National Register of Indian Citizens
- NPR and NRIC
- CAA and NRIC
- Detention Centres
- Detention centres in states
In the backdrop of protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019, a number of minor under the age of 18 have been detained and tortured by the law enforcement authorities. This has invigorated the debate around child rights especially of those children who are in conflict with the law.
Rights of Children in conflict with law
- Juvenile Justice Act
- NCPCR Guidelines
- Protecting the rights of children
Need a different approach to address child malnutrition
Though National Family Health Survey-4 (NFHS-4) shows an encouraging improvement in child nutrition, in world rankings India continues to fare poorly on child nutrition.
Biomarkers for glioma brain tumour found in peripheral blood
Researchers from Chandigarh have identified gene biomarkers that can be used for early diagnosis of the brain tumour called glioblastoma.
Shape of Sun’s corona accurately predicted
Scientists from Centre for Excellence in Space Sciences (CESSI), IISER Kolkata, have successfully predicted the shape of Sun’s corona during the recent annular solar eclipse on December 25. The scientists used the images from SOHO satellite (NASA and ESA joint project) that carried an instrument called LASCO to predict the shape of solar corona.
- Why is it important?
- Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph Experiment (LASCO)
- About SOHO