21 Mar, 2020
- Happiness Report 2020 (Reports and Index)
- Kalam Nath resigns ahead of floor test in MP (Polity & Governance)
- Defence procurement draft released (Polity & Governance)
- Blunting the economic impact of the pandemic (Economy)
- Crime and Punishment (editorial) (Polity & Governance)
- Institute of National Importance for IIIT (Polity & Governance)
- Practice Questions
Defence procurement draft released
The defence minister has unveiled the draft Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2020 that will replace the current DPP of 2016.
- What is Defence Procurement Procedure?
- Defence Procurement Planning: A Backgrounder
- Accordingly the capital acquisition proposals are laid out in
- In focus: Defence Procurement Procedure 2020-2025
- Why is it introduced?
Crime and punishment
- The recent hanging of four men convicted of the gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman has brought into limelight the matters related to death sentence as well as safety of the women in the society.
- Both these issues are important from the perspective of GS I, GS II and Essay paper.
- Since Justice Verma Committee was constituted to recommend amendments to the Criminal Law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals accused of committing sexual assault against women, it is important for us to have a look at the most important recommendations which can be quoted as “way forward” in GS mains answers.
- What is the constitutional basis of the death sentence?
- What is the current Legal Position in India
- What is the scenario across the world?
- So what are the ethical issues involved in Death sentence?
- Important recommendations of Justice Verma committee report
Finland is again world’s happiest
It looks at the state of global happiness in 156 countries, ranking countries using the Gallup World Poll and six factors:
- levels of GDP,
- life expectancy,
- social support,
- freedom and
- corruption income.
Blunting the economic impact of a pandemic
- The financial year 2019-20 registered slowest GDP growth since the 2008 financial crisis. The economic slowdown has further been aggravated by the impact of CoVID-19.
- The outbreak of Coronavirus has led to both demand side and supply side shock. This has the potential to reduce both consumption expenditure and Investment, which are considered to be the major drivers of India's GDP.
- Hence, in order to mitigate the impact of CoVID-19 on the Indian Economy, PM Modi has set up a task force under the leadership of Union Finance Minister. This article gives certain suggestions to be incorporated by the Task Force.
- How to deal with the present Economic Situation?
- How to raise finances to deal with the economic situation?
Madhya Pradesh crisis | Kamal Nath resigns ahead of floor test
Ending 18 days of uncertainty, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath submitted his resignation to Governor Lalji Tandon, ahead of the Supreme Court-mandated floor test.
- What is floor test?
- How is a floor test conducted?
- What is the constitutional basis of the floor test??
LS passes Bill on national importance tag for IIITs
- Context - The Lok Sabha passed a Bill to confer the status of Institution of National Importance (INI) on five more Indian Institutes of Information Technology - located in Surat, Bhopal, Bhagalpur, Agartala and Raichur — under the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public-Private Partnership) Act, 2017.
There are already 15 IIITs established under the scheme through public-private partnership.
- Important relevant information
- Way ahead