GS Paper I Mains - 2019- Question Analysis
- Assess the impact of global warming on the coral life system with examples.
Mains Assignment Question
Assess the impact of global warming on the coral life system with examples. (150 Words)
Subjects : Environment, Biodiversity & Climate Change
- Introduction: Relation between Global warming and health of coral reef
- Body: List down the impacts of global warming
- Conclusion: Conclude with Paris Agreement goals as a way forward.
Add your Answer below
Global Warming is the greatest global threat to coral reef ecosystems. Scientific evidence indicates that the Earth's atmosphere and ocean are warming, and these changes are primarily due to greenhouse gases derived from human activities.
Impact of Global Warming
Warming ocean: It causes thermal stress which hampers the growth of polyps.
- Sea level rise: it may lead to increases in sedimentation for reefs located near land-based sources of sediment. Sedimentation runoff can lead to the smothering of coral.
- Changes in storm patterns: stronger and more frequent storms can destruct the structure of reefs.
- Changes in precipitation: increased runoff of freshwater, sediment, and land-based pollutants contribute to algal blooms and cause murky water conditions that reduce light.
- Altered ocean currents: changes in connectivity and temperature regimes contribute to lack of food for corals and hampers dispersal of coral larvae.
- Ocean acidification (a result of increased CO2): reduction in pH levels decreases coral growth and structural integrity.
- Great Barrier Reef in Australia (Bleaching in 2016 and 2017 killed 50% of its coral)
- Northwestern Hawaiian Islands in the United States
Limiting global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels in line with the Paris Agreement provides the only chance for the survival of coral reefs globally.