GS Paper II Mains 2019 Question Analysis
- The reservation of seats for women in the institution of local self government has had a limited impact on patriarchal character of the Indian Political Process." Comment
Mains Assignment Question
The reservation of seats for women in the institution of local self government has had a limited impact on patriarchal character of the Indian Political Process." Comment (250 Words)
Subjects : Constitution, Polity & Governance
- Introduction: Nature of problem: Participation of women in the Indian political process is very low. Attribute the reason for such low level of participation to Patriarchy as well and relate the topic to the issue of gender equality as well.
- Body: How Patriarchy has negatively impacted the process of political empowerment for women in India. Show through clear-cut points how patriarchy has done this. Extrapolation - No reservation for women at Legislative Assembly or Parliament level
- Conclusion: What steps should be taken by the government to change the patriarchal mindset about Women’s role in the Indian political process.
Add your Answer below
Women make 50% of our population and we expect them to participate in nation building shoulder to shoulder with men. However, Women’s political participation at the state and union level remains extremely low. At the local self-government level, one third of the seats were reserved for the women. It was expected that this will improve the participation of women in the political process but things have hardly changed. One of the reason for this is the patriarchal mindset of India.
How Patriarchy has negatively impacted the process of political empowerment for women in India?
- Patriarchal mindset of people in general, does not allow the women to express and operate freely in local self-government bodies.
- Institutionalization of intervention (Sarpanch Pati) of husbands of elected women in rural areas.
- Political intervention of MPs and MLAs of the area in the functioning of Panchayats.
- Illiteracy or low level of education amongst the women.
- Women hardly have a say in having number of child due the patriarchal mindset. Two child norms for contesting the elections makes many women ineligible.
- Lack of political awareness amongst the women.
- Societal dogmas challenge the capability of women in leading these institution.
- Patriarchy is also visible at the parliament and the legislative assembly level, since the reservation for women in these institutions has still not been materialised.
Swachchh Bharat Abhiyaan is a great success and reason is Awareness created due to EDUCATION, INFORMATION, COMMUNICATION and REINFORCEMENT. Thus to change the mindset of people towards women in politics, aggressive awareness campaign should be started by the way of EDUCATING, INFORMING, COMMUNICATING and REINFORCING. At the same time, government should take initiatives to:
A) Allocate budget to train and empower women in every panchayat and urban bodies
B) Reservation of seats at State Legislature and Parliament
C) Take inspiration from successful models like Kudambshree (Kerala) and implement its learning across Question Analysis & Discussion the country.