GS Paper IV Mains 2019 Question Analysis
- What is meant by crisis of conscience? How does it manifest itself in the public domain?
Mains Assignment Question
What is meant by ‘crisis of conscience’? How does it manifest itself in the public domain? (150 Words)
Subjects : ETHICS IN GOVERNANCE
- Introduction: Define Crisis of Conscience
- Body: Highlight how Crisis of Conscience manifests in Public Domain
- Conclusion: Highlight the significance of Crisis of Conscience
Add your Answer below
The Crisis of Conscience refers to the situation in which one questions his/her actions because he thinks that his act is wrong or immoral. Here the individual thinks that his actions are against the voice of conscience and hence ethically not tenable. When there is a gap between real and ideal self, one often is trapped in the web of crisis of conscience.
The manifestations of Crisis of Conscience in Public Domain can be seen in the following manner:
1. Civil society activism
Ex: Arab Spring, Anti-corruption, Nirbhaya case, Me-Too movement, Occupy Wall street, Hong Kong Protests
2. Religious reforms
Ex: Banning of Untouchability, Sati etc.
3. Legal/Constitutional reforms
Ex: Section 377, Triple Talaq etc.
4. Acknowledgment of historical wrongs
Ex: Galileo case, Britain's apology to Jallianwala Bagh massacre
The Crisis of Conscience in Public Domain is a gateway to reforms and thus is a sign of the progress of any society.