GS Paper III Mains 2019 Question Analysis
- Discuss the causes of depletion of Mangroves and explain their importance in maintaining coastal ecology.
Mains Assignment Question
Discuss the causes of depletion of Mangroves and explain their importance in maintaining coastal ecology. (150 Words)
Subjects : Environment, Biodiversity & Climate Change
- Introduction: Define mangroves
- Body: Causes of depletion of Mangroves, Importance in maintaining coastal ecology
- Conclusion: Importance of conserving Mangroves
Add your Answer below
Mangroves are a group of trees and shrubs which are tolerant of saline or brackish water as well as fluctuations in the water level.
Causes of depletion of Mangroves:
o For agriculture, industrial development and infrastructure projects.
- Coastal water pollution from agricultural and industrial discharge hampers their growth
- Climate change is leading to changes in the ambient conditions which are depleting the
- Local threats
o Dams and irrigation that reduce the flow of water.
Importance of Mangroves in maintaining coastal ecology:
Settlement of sediments due to slowing down of tidal waters in the intertidal zone.
o This leads to stabilization of the coastline.
Protection from storms and cyclones because of the friction offered by the dense vegetation
slows down the wind
Mitigation of climate change due to their capacity to act as carbon sink.
o A huge variety of wildlife lives or breeds in the mangrove ecosystem, including
numerous fish, crab and shrimp species, molluscs, and mammals like sea turtles.
Hence Mangroves should be protected with utmost priority for the role they play in preservation of ecosystem and biodiversity as well as protection of humans from disasters.